Saturday, August 27, 2005

NPR
National Palestinian Radio


One of the little charms of my marriage is that my wife listens to NPR. I really don't understand why. My wife is more conservative than I am. But, I come home from work, and she's listening to NPR. I go to my car in the morning after she has borrowed it (rather than driving her kid-mobile) and the radio is tuned to NPR. God help me.

She has learned to not listen to it around me, because she knows that the broadcasts will be punctuated with shouts of "Lies. Lies. That not true," emanating from my direction. And she knows that she will be subjected to history lessons explaining exactly why and how NPR is wrong.

Truth is, I despised NPR for years before I became a conservative. I hate their measured pretentiousness. I hate the way they play soothing classical music between tales of genocide and rape. I hate the aura of sophistication and intelligence they create with the facade of quiet voices and baroque music. I hate the way that facade levels out all the horrors they discuss on their news programs, giving the impression that they represent an oasis of civility in a world of chaos, removing them from any complicity, as if they were the pantheon of intellectual gods, suspended in the ether, and hovering above us all, dispensing wisdom and short bursts of "alternative" electronic music.

F NPR. F them and the tax money they rode in on.

Check this one out, though. NPR has squated down and produced a new acrid abomination which goes beyond almost any in their history.

I invite you to meet a woman named Mariam Sobh. Barely a woman, really. Just a year or two out of the University of Illinois' journalism program, where she was caught manufacturing hateful quotes and putting them in the mouth of Ariel Sharon in order to bolster her pro-Palestinian agenda. Yes, that's right, writing crude propaganda in the guise of journalism:



...Mariam Sobh introduced her Dec 11 piece with the following statement, purportedly uttered by Ariel Sharon, in order “to show a clearer picture of the Israeli leadership:”

“I don’t know something called International Principles. I vow that I’ll burn every Palestinian child (that) will be born in this area. The Palestinian woman and child is more dangerous than the man, because the Palestinian child’s existence infers that generations will go on, but the man causes limited danger. I vow that if I was just an Israeli civilian and I met a Palestinian I would burn him and I would make him suffer before killing him. With one hit I’ve killed 750 Palestinians (in Rafah in1956). I wanted to encourage my soldiers by raping Arabic girls as the Palestinian woman is a slave for Jews, and we do whatever we want to her and nobody tells us what we shall do but we tell others what they shall do,” Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said in an interview with General Ouze Merham in 1956.

This shocking quote, a staple on Arab propaganda Web sites, is an internet hoax for which the journalism student, not surprisingly, provided no source. There is no record of any “General Ouze Merham” or any truth to the claim that Sharon made the quoted comments. The paper’s decision to run such an inflammatory statement with no attribution is indefensible.

The Sharon quote was not the only fabrication. Sobh alleged that former Israeli Chief of Staff, Raphael Eytan was quoted in the April 14, 1983 New York Times as saying: “We declare openly that the Arabs have no right to settle on even one centimeter of Eretz Israel ... Force is all they do or ever will understand. We shall use the ultimate force until the Palestinians come crawling to us on all fours.” However, a Nexis search of all Times coverage reveals that no one, not Eytan or anyone else, was ever quoted by the paper making the purported statement...


Yes, she was caught red-handed. The world of journalism knew about this. It was in the news. Maraim Sobh was pinned to the matte like an insect by her own libel.

So, what am I so pissed off about this morning? Well, because NPR hired this distortionist to work at their affiliate WILL station. This women is a known member of the radical Islamic front-group, the Muslim Student Association, and she is a Jew-hating propaganda artist. And NPR hires her, using our tax money.

I can just hear the Brandenburg Concertos fading into Ms. Sobhs' news report:

"Word comes today that Ariel Sharon has convened a council of Zionist Elders to determine how best to take control of the world's assets and power. "This council," Mr. Sharon was quoted as saying, "will resort to any means necessary, because as everyone knows the Jews are entitled to take whatever they want from the gentiles, because the gentiles are not really human beings in the eyes of G-d. They are animals."

Yes, apparently such will be deemed worthy news on NPR in the near-future.

What? Am I libeling NPR?

F them.