Wednesday, October 19, 2005

"Whatever Is Built On Something False
Is Itself False"
--- Saddam Hussein - 2005


Saddam Hussein's trial began yesterday, so we got a little glimpse into the strategy of the defense:


"When the judge asked him first to identify himself and describe his profession, he basically said that he did not recognize the jurisdiction of the court. He said, 'this was false, whatever is built on something false is itself false.'"

He said: 'I'm still the president of Iraq.'

He again, as he did back in July 2004, when he had his first hearing, he kept referring back to the Iraqi people, saying I cannot disrespect the will of the Iraqi people who made me president.

"The judge could not get his name or profession out of him, but then he, the judge read for the record, Saddam Hussein's name.

"He read his name and he said that he was the former president of Iraq, the former leader of the Revolutionary Command Council and the former head of the Iraqi armed forces.

"Saddam Hussein interrupted him several times and he said that 'no, I am the president of the Iraqi republic,' he said to the judge, 'you are saying just what you want. I did not say what you're saying,' and then he said, ' I am not a collaborator.'

"His main point of defense is that he does not recognize this tribunal. His lawyers have told us that they do not recognize it and that will be his main point of defense, that he is being tried essentially illegally.

"Nonetheless, the judge proceeded. He read out the charges against Saddam and the other seven defendants in connection with the massacre after an attempted ambush on his motorcade in Dujail in 1982.

"The charges are, broadly, killing and murder, forced expulsion, the imprisonment of people as well as torture and the failure to comply with international law.

"He then read from other parts of the Iraqi legal charter and said that the death penalty would go to anyone found guilty of killing intentionally.


Did I ever tell you what my real name is, by the way? I am Napoleon.

Oh yes, and I must add, that anyone who opposed the Iraq war essentially agrees with Saddam Hussein. If you oppose the Iraq war, then the court trying Saddam has no jurisdiction, and he is still President.

You must agree with me, for I am Napoleon.