Saturday, November 26, 2005

Our House Is Being Shelled
Quick, Balance The Checkbook


I love Baron and Dymphna at the Gates of Vienna, but I must say, I think they are way, way off in the new discussion they are enabling over at their blog.

The question put forth is, how do we push the Bush Administration, and the Republican Party to advance a more conservative agenda. Some of the issues they would like to see dealt with include:

  • Making the Bush tax cuts permanent
  • Death tax repeal
  • Cutting and limiting government spending
  • Social Security reform with personal retirement accounts
  • Expanding free trade
  • Legal reform to end abusive lawsuits
  • Replacing the current tax code
  • School choice
  • Regulatory reform and deregulation

Baron wrote:

Contemplating the craven and profligate behavior of Republicans in Congress, the ordinary grassroots conservative is disgusted ... there isn’t a dime’s worth of difference between the two parties. I have argued previously that the only way to effect change in the national GOP is to hit them where it hurts: create a hemorrhage in their beloved supply of cash.

One commenter offered the following:

Baron, you nailed this one. Thanks for posting this. Can we get an honest to goodness 3rd party going next time up? I don't think the two parties of choice can give us any choices that would be any different that what's going on presently.

Ah, lemmings over the cliff.

My comment?:

A third party will be the death of conservatism.I think you guys need to figure out what is most important to you right now. We are in the middle of a war, guys.

... if you think you are going to turn "The Gates of Vienna" into a metaphor meaning the defense of conservatism itself, then you are, simply, amusing yourselves to death. We can not afford the luxury of metaphor in time of war.

That I was one of only two dissenting voice shows what the problem is with Bush's second term. Bush is being assailed from the right, as well as the left. He is under fierce, almost treasonous attack from the MSM. It has become hard enough, if not downright impossible for him to push his agenda.

Baron commented:

What the poll numbers for President Bush don’t tell you is how much of the decline in his approval ratings comes from people to his right. Those of us who thought that Mr. Bush might really change the political culture of Washington D.C., who thought he might rein in spending, who thought he might limit the intrusiveness of government in ordinary peoples’ lives — well, we had another think coming.

Yes, exactly. And, that's exactly why this discussion is so off.

You know, it's almost as if Republicans think we have the war in the bag. Are people so deluded as to think Iraq is the end of it? We have to end the regimes of Syria and Iran as well. If we don't, then the war will be for nought.

That a blog called Gates of Vienna would lose sight of these simple facts is frightening. The lack of support Bush is receiving from the right is a large part of the reason this war is grinding on at such a glacial and dangerous pace.

Take a lesson from the great Charles Johnson, who on September 13th, 2001, in a post entitled "Patriotism," wrote the following:

I preface this by saying that I may be the least patriotic person I know.
But I am going to refrain from posting any more criticism of our President for the duration of whatever is about to happen. (Unless he does something really dumb.) Some visitors have apparently been seeing my criticism of President Bush as an invitation to post comments implying... no, saying outright that America deserves what happened on September 11th.
Don't tell me the children in those planes deserved what happened to them. Don't tell me America deserved this. If you're able to say that with such disgusting and self-important glibness, you are putting yourself on the same moral level with the monsters who did this crime, and we don't want you here.
Make no mistake. I never thought I would say this, but the President has my full support now, in whatever he chooses to do. I pray he somehow finds the correct course through this labyrinth of hate and darkness.

I pray that we all find our way through this labyrinth. And, the way to do so is fierce resolve.

UPDATE: To be fair, Baron has articulated his reasoning in believing this is the right course of action vis a vis, the War on Terror. But, I don't agree. Go read his thoughts. He is a very intelligent man. Probably one that I am a fool to go up against. But, never let it be said that I am not willing to make a fool of myself.

:)