Friday, December 30, 2005


A Bridge
Through
The Coldness


We had friends over tonight for a New Years Party. Everyone brought an object of some sort which was supposed to symbolize their year. I didn't bring anything, because I forgot. But, somehow, that was the right thing. Because, in a lot of ways, I'd rather forget this year.

I haven't brought it up, but I have been suffering a freaking ridiculous back injury, and a lot of pain. On top of that, there were business setbacks. For the first time in my life, I failed at something in the business world.

So anyway, I found myself telling my friends my sad story, only to realize that within the past few months, everything has been turning up rosy for me. My back is better (I'm actually able to go to the gym again), my business has picked up, I've got my big writing opportunity, and my family is, as always, extremely supportive of me.

And yet, the truth is, I did experience the year I experienced, and it was confidence-shaking, and it did come when I'm in my early-40's, and I am beginning to feel the autumn-cold of a midlife crisis coming on.

All these changes assailing me. It's life and life only.

Ah, who cares? Just gotta press on. Don't let your victories go to your head, and don't let the losses go to your heart.

Just take the bridge through the coldness, and wait for the spring, and the New Life to reveal itself, as it always will, even in the midst of a midlife crisis.