Monday, December 19, 2005


Thou
Shalt
Not
Murder



A person named Chuko left a comment on my Tookie post denouncing the death penalty.

Here is my response to him:

I am a believer in the death penalty. The idea that my tax dollars go towards feeding murderers makes me sick to my stomach. I wouldn't feed a murderer myself, so why would I want my money to do it without my permission?

Would you invite a murderer into your home and feed him?

And, just in case you don't know, the literal translation of the Hebrew in the 10 Commandments is, "Thou shalt not murder," not thou shalt not kill. There is a difference between killing and murdering. It is ok to kill a person who is intent on doing evil. For instance, it would have been wise for people in the German government to have killed Hitler. It would be wise for somone to put a bullet through Ahmadinejad's brain today.

If there was a man raping and beating your daughter, it would be wise for you to kill him before he killed her.

Understand?

The problem is, many people don't take murder personally enough, because it's not their daughter who has been murdered. If you put yourself in the place of the loved ones of the person murdered then you would understand.

It's not about vengeance, it's about justice.

We can not justly, as a society, feed murders.