Thursday, January 26, 2006


Does
Pope
Benedict
Believe
Islam Is
Incapable
Of Reform


In an interview with Hugh Hewitt, Father Fessio had said the Pope believed that Islam was, indeed, incapable of reforming itself, and joining the modern world.

In response, I did a post on this subject, where I questioned whether the Pope had said what Father Fessio had indicated he said. My point was that, having read much of the Pope's work, I believe he is a man who knows that all things are possible with God.

It looks like I was probably correct. Father Fessio is backtracking, er, clarifying his statement:


I think it is important for me to give context to and clarify the remarks I made recently in a radio interview with Hugh Hewitt, reported in Diana West's column in The Washington Times ("Silence that speaks volumes," Op-Ed, Friday). The most important clarification is that the Holy Father did not say, nor did I, that "Islam is incapable of reform."


Go read the whole thing. Father Fessio's clarification contains several important distinctions.

As does, the following from George Weigel, Pope Benedict official biographer:


“I think that Pope Benedict understands that one root of the problems that one form of Islam is presenting to the world today is theological, and you can’t get around that,” the official biographer of Pope John Paul II and a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center, George Weigel, said. “And that has to be faced. If you are going to have real inter-religious dialogue, it has to begin with those differences that make all the difference.”


Wow, what do you know? And, I'm not even Catholic.