Sunday, May 14, 2006







The Angriest Dog
In The World
(Click on cartoon to view)

The dog who is so angry he cannot move. He cannot eat. He cannot sleep. He can just barely growl. Bound so tightly with tension and anger, he approaches the state of rigor mortis."

Back on February 21, 2006, I came to the end of my rope with our current situation with regards to Iran. I realized that we were absolutely played out with the UN and the EU, and any effort to try to use diplomacy. I always knew diplomacy would not work, but I expected the diplomacy card to have been played in such a way that events would prove that it wasn't working. Instead, we have been played.

So, on February 21 of this year, I wrote the following post, entitled Perched On The Edge Of An Abyss:


My sense tells me that if we don't do something about Iran very, very soon, we are in deep shit.

I have been writing here for the last couple of months that it seems that it will take a major terrorist attack (more than 10,000 dead) in the West before we will wake up.

I have been hoping that the Cartoon Jihad would do the job of waking us up. I really thought that a worldwide Muslim temper tantrum, over something so incredibly stupid, would cause people in the West to come to terms with who our enemy is.

I am a big nobody, but I am trying as hard as I can to get the word out. But, a couple hundred thousand hits does little to change the world. The pundits in the media read our blogs. They know what is going on, but they believe moderation is called for.

People like Hugh Hewitt are a sweet poison to Western Civilization. Urging caution at a time like this is merely adminstering soothing ether.

We are in the foxhole of history right now. The last thing we need is sleep.

Alas, it seems that maybe only five percent of us have woken up. Maybe a bit more, but not much.


I also wrote this on that day:


Dennis Prager is one of my favorite people. I have learned so much from him over the years. It is safe to say that without him I would not be blogging today.This week he has a very important column on why the American news media will not publish the Mohammed Cartoons.

Good commentary, very necessary and true.

BUT,(you knew that was coming, didn't you?)

It occurred to me that Mr. Prager hasn't published the cartoons either. So, here it is, my call out to Dennis Prager:

You have a website. Publish the cartoons.

I'm going to be very honest here. I am tired of doing the heavy lifting for the media. Writing this blog wears on me.

Of course, there are many bloggers who are doing what we are doing here at IBA, so it's not like I am alone in this, but, at the same time, I am not an editor, publisher, or political commentator (that, I'm sure, doesn't come as a shock to any of you who read my crap on a daily basis), I am a sales guy in the media world. That's my job, not this blog.

And yet, it is people like me who have to do this work because the American media refuses to do so.

This is said in all sincerity, Mr. Prager. We need some help.

What is happening to our nation when sales guys, policemen, housewives, and marketing people are left to do the work of disseminating the most important truths of our time?

Now, the fact of the matter is, Dennis Prager is on our side. So, why do I call him out? Well, because he needs to step up and put his whole self where his mouth is, just like all of us bloggers have done.

It's time to step up, my friends.


You could say, that I have been thoroughly disgusted and fed up ever since that day. You could say that I have been chewing my sour cud ever since that day. You could say I have a permanent purple vein exploding off my forehead ever since that day. You could say I am the angriest dog in the world right about now, and you would be absolutely fucking correct.

I am poisoned with paralyzed patience. I am atrophied with apocalyptic apathy. I am solidified in stunned silence. I sit like the anti-Buddhi beneath a Bodhi tree aflame.

Ever since that day, February 21, 2006 I have had to drag myself to my computer, and choke down the news of the day. I have had to shiver and shake as I write. I have had to go for long walks, and bathe myself in the middling light of television sitcoms in order to make myself forget the events of the day. I don't even remember what it was that set me off specifically. I just know that I felt like the bottom dropped out of our world. I felt like we were all alone. We who care about Western Civilization were left without a leadership. We're to fend for ourselves without a government, without a formal agreement. Apparently, with no representation though we are endlessly taxed.

Well, it seems that I am not alone in feeling like this. For the longest time, I thought it was just me. I didn't want to mention it, because if it is just a personal depression that I am going though, then why bring other down. However, Wretchard from Belmont Club has noticed this phenomena in other people. He believe it has, in fact, spread across the blogosphere; from the right to the left of the political spectrum.

Here is his explanation:


My own hunch is that in the last two or three months there's been a change in the tone of the blogosphere. Nothing definite, simply a change in atmosphere in proportion to the degree of abstract tendencies of the blogger. Authors who trafficked in ideas and concepts have altered the most. Some have paused to take stock, pleading disgust or confusion; still others have returned to writing as seemingly different persons; others seem to be suffering a kind of nervous breakdown, obsessed with hatred for one or more public figures or inventing new words and finding conspiracies in everything they see.

The least affected are authors who are largely descriptive. For example Michael Totten's review of Arabs in Israel is one of those blogposts which describes what it sees even when it finds apparent contradictions.

My own theory is that all the old divisions so sharply erected between September 11, 2001 and April, 2003 have been slowly eroded by the uncertainties of the world. The Left and the Right have seen their champions turn out to be all too human, and are confounded. Issues which are a wedge on both sides of the spectrum -- like immigration or Darfur -- have scattered interest groups around like balls after a billiard break. New issues like the resurgence of a hostile Russia, the spread of Marxism in Latin America -- even the malicious buffoonery of the Iranian President -- are crowding at the fringes of the now comforting world of the War on Terror.

The old play is ending and yet the new one has not yet begun. And this bothers abstract intellectuals far more than it does the men in the field. A soldier can write with perfect conviction that "the world was a slightly better place every time I pulled the trigger" because he lives in a world of specificity, but the agonized thinker can find no such comfort in cold abstractions; abstractions now in need of repair under the weight of experience.

The need to keep mental furniture in order is the curse of the abstract thinker. A recent visitor from the Philippines told me -- not in so many words, but clearly enough -- about how the famous old Communists of the 1970s and 80s had all gone essentially crazy. Not clinically. But they were all of them gnawing at the ends of old plots, editing unread journals, scheming from miserable academic departments; haunting the peripheries of political life. He described this in quiet tones as we sat at some seaside saloon, a grey mist and rain having fallen over the bay; the perfect time he said "for Godzilla to come popping out of the water". And of course there was a better chance of Godzilla actually materializing than that those dusty old Commies should ever succeed at what they were doing. They knew it and that was the madness. It was better, I thought, to keep watching and have another beer.


Yes, I guess I have been sitting here waiting for Godzilla to come popping out of the water. But, the problem is, while it wouldn't have seemed likely to those old Commies back in 1970's Phillipines, it does seem likely today, given the situation we are facing vis a vis Ahmadinejad.

Next pitcher's on me.