Tuesday, February 27, 2007


Burning Tree


A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, some friends of mine had a band called Burning Tree which, for a short time, made a splash at Epic Records. They toured the world, built a rep, and ultimately, were buried by Tommy Mottola's obsession with Mariah Carey.

The proof is in the pudding. While it is true that Burning Tree's music is hard to get, if you can get it, you will see that it kicked ass, and did so in a prescient manner. Major labels would die to have an act like this now.

Too bad they sold their soul.

Anyway, I was just listening to my Burning Tree CD, and I ran across these lyrics:


You don't cross the forbidden pathway
Swim the stormy sea
Fly on the one-way Eagle
And you sure don't want to fuck with me


While that may not be the most eloquent statement to have ever graced the tracks of a great rock n' roll record, for me, in the mood I'm in, it expresses the way I feel, perfectly well.

I'm a middle aged man now, but, I swear to God, in some ways, I don't think I will ever grow up. I go to work and earn millions for my business. I love my wife, and I take care of my kids. I go to the same church I have gone to for fifteen years. I deal with problems as they come, and I have learned the lesson that emotions are a passing thing, while principles are the rock upon which I must rely.

But, I have also learned that I am who I am, and I, and everyone I know, are simply going to have to accept that fact. It ain't gonna change.

There are some things, darlin', you just don't do. You don't cross the forbidden pathway, you don't climb the burning tree, and you sure don't want to fuck with me.