Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Complex Post
About The Issues
Surrounding
Tim Hardaway's
Anti-Gay Statements


UPDATED AT BOTTOM OF POST

There are a few things I want to point out about the Tim Hardaway issue. First, kudos to the NBA for banishing Hardaway from all league functions. Hardaway's statement went way beyond expressing a personal dislike for homosexuals. Instead he said, "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

So, you know, what does he propose? That we kill them all, or ship them off to an island?

Tim Hardaway is a fascist. In my recent post, I called him a "Faggot," and I did so for a very specific reason, because I honestly doubt that the man would even know the definition of fascist, and I'd rather call him a name which pisses him off, then to be specific in language, because he is so far beyond the pale that his words do not even merit serious and nuanced consideration.

Furthermore, let me say this, when Poland killed all their Jews, they also killed their culture. Poland had a thriving arts culture in the years before WWII. But, it was primarily inspired by the Jews. The Polish Nobel Prize winner for Literature, Isaac Bashevis Singer, is just one example of a great many Polish artists who contributed to Polish culture in the early part of the 20th century.

But, Poland killed its Jews, and its arts community disappeared.

Similarly, for all my fellow Christians, and other Infidels, if we got rid of gay people, we would destroy much of our arts culture.

I am a rock n' roll musician, and a writer. I'm telling you, you can't be in the arts without knowing a lot of gay people. My direct experience with gay people has led me to believe that their contributions are important to our way of life.

I once pointed out to one of my Pastors that an awful lot of the best male singers and dancers we have at our church never end up getting married. I asked my Pastor why she thought that was. The answer ought to obvious. They are gay. And, they go to church. My church is not pro-gay. But, these men go anyway, because they believe that Christ was the Messiah, and that he died for their sins, and they are thankful for that fact.

And, so they go to church and contribute to our worship services, and their contributions are beautiful and appreciated.

I also want to point out about this whole Tim Hardaway controversy is that it came up because former NBA player John Amaechi had come out of the closet. This is what provoked Tim Hardaway's ignorant comments.

Look, what Amaechi has to say about the effect that Hardaway's comments are having on his life:


Beyond mere issues of locker room trust and bonds among teammates, Amaechi said Hardaway's words of anger and intimidation show why gay people worry about making their sexual orientation public.

"It now allows people to take off those rose-colored glasses and understand that homophobia is a problem not only in sports but society," Amaechi told sports TV network ESPN, publishers of his book.

"Spewing vitriol isn't something we should give credit to (for sparking discussion). Society is not for that. One man has made hundreds of thousands of people now feel uncomfortable, unsafe, feel they should hide and run.

"What he has done has made life more difficult, perhaps more dangerous, for people in society, not just in sports. His views embolden those who hold the same views.

"When he depersonalizes it, it's not just a foolish comment. It's a foolish comment that echoes around the country.

"People will feel under pressure, like they are under attack. They will feel anxious. They will know there's a face and a voice for all those people out there who hate them.

"I don't know how that can be conducive to any kind of society at all."

Amaechi, who is black, rejects the idea of mere tolerance for gays, saying "I have no interest in being tolerated" as a black or gay person.

Amaechi said that while response to his revelation has been overwhelmingly positive, Hardaway's comments touched of a wave of threatening anti-gay messages beyond what he had been receiving.

"Every comment that (Hardaway) made is labeled with hate," Amaechi said. "The percentage of e-mails I've received overnight that are going to have to go into a little box somewhere just in case I end up dead are unbelievable.


People who denigrate homosexuals, and say they deserve to go to hell, and that they are sick, degenerate, or whatever adjectives, or names, they choose to use, do not seem to recognize that their words have real world consequences for innocent gay people.

Now, here's another interesting thing about this story. Guess who came out in support of John Amaechi?

Shaquille O'Neal:


Writers and NBA personalities, including Heat center Shaquille O'Neal and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, have widely praised Amaechi's revelation.


Now, the reason this is so interesting to note is that it is a little known fact that Shaquille O'Neal is a Muslim and a member of the Nation of Islam. He counts Louis Farrakhan as a personal family friend.

Shaquille O'Neal never ceases to impress me for his ability to go his own way without concerning himself with what those around him think. He is truly his own man. Farrakhan makes no secret of the fact that he hates gay people, or that Muslims ought to hate gay people. Yet, Shaquille O'Neal chooses to not fall into that trap.

I also want to remind everyone that Shaquille O'Neal is a tremendously charitable individual who personally packed trucks full of food and supplies and drove them down to New Orleans to help out the victims of Hurricaine Katrina.

O'Neal clearly does not limit his charitable giving to only those who are members of the Ummah.
Good for him. He's a truly good man.

UPDATE:

JB writes in:


pastorius writes: Farrakhan makes no secret of the fact that he hates gay people, or that Muslims ought to hate gay people.

That is one bold faced lie.

I've heard plenty of Farrakhan speechs and read many columns, many of which are online and have not seen anything like what you are lying about.

This is Farrakhan's take:

I cannot fault a Christian pastor for standing on his platform to preach what he believes, nor a Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu or a member of any religious or political party. All of us must be true to what we earnestly believe. I cannot fault a gay or lesbian person who stands on their platform to preach what they believe of self and how the world should view them. Although what we say on our platform may, in some way, be offensive to others, we must not allow painful utterances of the past or present, based on sincere belief, or based on our ignorance, or based on our ideology or philosophy to cripple a movement that deserves and needs all of us—and, when I say all, I mean all of us. We must begin to work together to lift our people out of the miserable and wretched condition in which we find ourselves.

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_2984.shtml


I, Pastorius, say I am sorry. I stand corrected.

I find that I am not quite accurate, but I also do not think it is quite accurate of you to say what I have said is a "bald-faced lie."

Here are some quotes from Farrakhan on gays:

"And the Christian right, with your blindness to that wicked state of Israel…can that be the holy land, and you have gay parades, and want to permit to have a gay parade in Jerusalem when no prophet ever sanctioned that behavior. HOW CAN THAT BE THE ISRAEL, how can that be Jerusalem with secular people running the holy land when it should be the holy people running the holy land. That land is gonna be cleansed with BLOOD!"
Saviours' Day, Chicago, Illinois, 2/26/06

“I call them the so-called Jews because to be a Jew you have to adhere to the statutes and laws that create the special relationship. How can you be a Jew and promote homosexual marriage?” National Black Agenda Convention, Boston, 3/18/04

"But all of a sudden in the night clubs, they started having transvestite shows, drag queens… Scripture say no liar, no adulterer, no effeminate will get in the Kingdom."
Saviours' Day Speech, Chicago, 2/23/03


But overall, I will say, you are right. I stand corrected, and, as I said, I apologize.