Monday, March 26, 2007

Wilt Chamberlain:
Just Like
Any Other
7-Foot
Black Millionaire
Who Lives
Next Door


In light of Kobe Bryant's recent streak of four fifty point games in a row, let us remember the man who averaged 50.4 points per game over the course of an entire season.





Wilt Chamberlain was my hero when I was a kid. Among the things I admired about him was that he was a Republican. I was not a Republican myself. In fact, I was raised by parents who took me to see McGovern speak when I was just a wee lad. I was against the Viet Nam War. And, while Wilt supported Nixon (in fact, he even campaigned for him), I had to admire Wilt because his choice to support Nixon was evidence that he was a free thinker.

Additionally, Wilt abhorred superstition. The reason he chose number 13 for his jersey was he believed that people create their own fate.

Wilt wasn't just a tall man. He was a giant of a man as well. He did everything big. Obviously, there is much negative that could be said of him. And, certainly, I don't want to make excuses for any of his behavior. But, the truth is, sometimes men who leave giant footprints tred hard upon all of life.