Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Family Dog


Our family recently decided to adopt a dog. The dog belongs to my oldest daughter. She had been bugging us for months and months to get a dog, but neither my wife nor I really like dogs, and neither one of us wanted to take care of the dog.

But when someone brought this poor little frightened thing to work, we decided we couldn't help ourselves.

But, here was the deal. Both my wife and I pretended (and, by the way, we didn't even plan this out together, it just happened naturally) that neither one of us wanted the dog, that we were only doing it for our daughter, and we both told her, "The dog is your responsibility. That means, you are cleaning up the dog poop. Do you understand?"

Our daughter said, "Yes, I will do it." (I told my wife that, if our daughter refused to do her duty, I would get rid of the dog immediately.)

I have marveled as my little "Princess" has transformed herself from dainty little neo-bitch to pooper-scooper extraordinaire. I'm proud to say, my girl has done an amazing job of taking care of her little friend.

Now, that we are past the point of no return, I might as well admit that there was no way I would have ever gotten rid of the dog. I love her very much. She's so darn cute.

:)

Now, here's the thing, the reason for this post:

One of the things I find most interesting about the dog is it is one-person dog. However, that does not mean that it likes only my daughter.

No!

Instead, the dog has chosen a hierarchy.

The dog like the members of our family in the following order:

1) My eldest daughter

2) My youngest daughter

3) Me

4) My wife

Maybe that's not interesting to anyone else in the world, but it is to me.

UPDATE: My wife says, the dog likes her better. I said, "Oh really?" And, she said, "Yes, if it were just you and I home and we were both sitting at our computers, whose feet would she sleep at?"

My wife is right, the dog likes her better.