Monday, August 13, 2007

The New CUANAS:
"That's My Pops"


When my Dad was 72, he had a pretty severe stroke. He landed in a rehab hospital without the use of the left side of his body.

It was a sad thing to watch, but here's a funny little story that came out of it which will give you an idea of the kind of man he was.

Now, imagine him sitting on a table, with almost no clothing on, and a Filipino nurse (you'll see why the fact that she was Filipino matters to the point of the story soon enough, this has nothing to do with race) is assessing his cognitive abilities.

My Dad is sitting there, almost helpless, almost naked, he can barely sit at all, because he has no control over the left side of his body, and the left side of his face is completely slack, so he is slurring his speech.

I'm sure he felt completely and utterly humiliated.

The Filipino nurse starts asking him a bunch of questions:

Sir, what is your name?

When were you born?

How old are you?

What are your children's name's?

Etc.

All normal stuff.

But, my Dad hated being asked stupid questions.

So, when one of the questions came up, he got his revenge. The question was, "Sir, who was Adolf Hitler?"

And, here was my Dad's answer:

"Adolf Hitler was a painter and a lamp-shade designer."

I fell of my chair laughing.

The Filipino nurse, not having been educated in America, had no idea of what the fuck my Dad was talking about, and so she started to try to explain to him that Hitler had actually been the leader of Nazi Germany during World War II.

Thing is, my Dad personally fought against the Nazis in WWII.

I had to explain to the nurse that this was my Dad's sense of humor. And, that he was trying to tell her that his mind was intact by showing her that he knew more than her.

Never had I been more proud of my Father.

That's my Pops. I love him. He is still with me.