Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The New CUANAS:
Poor Paris Hilton


Ok, this may be one of the most self-indulgent and, seemingly, irrelevant posts I have ever written, but go with me on this, ok?

My ten year old daughter came to me tonight and said, "Dad, I want you to write an article about two Paris Hilton videos I saw on the internet."

Now understand, I and my wife attempt to monitor everything our kids view on TV and the internet, but, as is true with all parents, we are not with them 24 hours a day, and they see things of which we would not necessarily approve.

At that point, you just have to decide to discuss the things they have seen, and try to provide some moral context. Additionally, I am a big believer that one's children learn more from the behavior of their parents, than they do from the input they get from peer pressure, and other outside sources.

That is not to say that I am not concerned.

However, it is almost impossible to hide the true sickness of the world from your children.

So, here's the thing, as is true with many young girls, my daughter is fascinated by people like Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan, and Britney Spears.

I have attempted to explain, in as delicate terms as possible that these girls are all troubled, sad, and desperate. What's more, they are a danger to themselves and others, and you all know what I mean.

So, here's the videoes my daughter wanted me to write about. She thinks they are funny, and in a way, they are. But, in a way, they are tragic and sad.

Check this out:





Here's what my daughter said to me: "Dad, did you see how much they spent? $112,000."

And, then she began to sing the words of the accompanying song, "Jealously, it's an evil thing."

And, I said, "That's right."

And then, she said she wanted me to see this video:





Only an adult could truly understand the implications of that cartoon. My daughter's focus was on the fact that Paris said, "I'm still breaking in this nose."

She thought that was very funny. She asked me what Paris meant by that, and I told her it meant that Paris had gotten a nose job, because she thought the nose God gave her was ugly.

That Simpson's cartoon really says it all, doesn't it?

Sometimes, comedy is more brilliant than tragedy, even though it is, often, not appreciated as such.